Friday, January 9, 2009

Paint!Paint and more Paint!



I don't know how I got on this kick but is has been nothing but painting goin' on here. I am either thinking of paint, looking at paint, or painting. I am usually not a girl that second guesses herself on much, nor really needs anyone else's opinion but I definitely have on these choices. Here is the problem, I know what color I want in my head but then when I go to match in at Home Depot there are way to many to try to match to the one in my head. I mean, do you know how many shades of just white they have?????? Amazing. So, I was inspired by the kids quilts and have wanted to paint their rooms to better match the new quilts. Jaya got her new quilt for her birthday. Do you remember the one I posted when she got her "big girl" bed? http://projectjohnson.blogspot.com/2008/09/thats-what-dreams-are-made-of.html

Well, I thought I wanted to match that pink when I tried to find the match...it looked to "rosy" to me. All the light pinks looked to bubble gummy so I decided on the deepest pink that you see on the pink card. It seems like it will be pretty dramatic and am wondering if I should go with the middle color. I guess I will paint a little and see what it looks like. I love paint, if you don't like it, it can go away with another color ;) Just paint. (hmmm, did you get that stepmother?)
It isn't the exact color but it is the closest that I liked. The camera flash throws off the true color so it is hard to capture. So, I got it mixed today and am going to start that room tomorrow but now I am starting to chicken out. I LOVE color on the wall, but for some reason I am not sure if this will be to much. I guess I will report more in the next few days. I am totally fighting the urge to paint it hot pink, lime green and throw a bunch of zebra accessories in there. I love love love that combo but it seems a little more for a grown up girl. Lord knows that will happen soon enough so that color palette will wait, of course, by then she will be old enough to tell me "no".
Then on to Jaxx's room. Jaxx has had the same quilt and bedding for about 4 years since he was in a his " big" bed when he was about 16 months. It is baseball but a little elementary looking. I have had my eye out for something a little bit more grown up and here it is...

These are the pics from the catalog. I wish I could just have the catalog set people come here :O

It fits the bill perfectly. Not only is it baseball but we ordered the National league so it has his two favorite teams, Colorado Rockies and Arizona Diamondbacks. Papa works for the Rockies and we love the D Backs so it is perfect. Jaxx's room is a pale yellow that was on the wall when we purchased our house. I never changed it because it was o.k. for a little boy but it too looks a little childish now. Well, the quilt is on backorder so I don't have it here to match but decided on a light tan and will use some red somewhere to pick up some color. I am selling Jaxx's old one to offset the cost of the new one. So, I painted Jaxx's room today (until I ran out of paint). I have one wall left. I went with the color that is in the middle of the tan paint card. If you look at the second picture of Jaxx's quilt, they show it with a very similiar color so that will give you an idea.

It is sort of a non descript tan which is so far from my normal love of color but I think it is the best to go with considering the inspiration. Again, the color that you are seeing does not look like the same color I am seeing in person. You will just have to take my word for it but it is a light tan. It looks good on the walls but almost a little boring. I am going to have to paint a red something...somewhere. I will have to report more on that later too.
Yesterday, I went around the house and touched up all the nicks and fingerprints that happen around here and especially after the move. Well, the kids playroom touch up didn't go that well. The paint on the wall and the paint in the can were off, maybe due to sun fade but now I have to paint that room too. It looks so yucky with these spots of the wrong color randomly around the room. I am not looking forward to painting that room since it is just going to be the same color , there is really no reward at the end.
That is all the painting for now. I did paint our "flex" room last week. It turned out great. I want to paint our master bathroom but just can't put my finger on the color yet. That will be the last thing to paint. Then I want to go around and touch up the baseboards and trim. They are white, now what was I saying earlier about white????
Cortney K.

1 comment:

kim•ber•ly said...

Good luck with the painting. We've been in our house now for 12 years or so and I've got the painting bug again. I chalk it up watching way to much HGTV. Can't wait to see pics of the final results!