Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Just Tuesday

Here I am at the end of a long Tuesday so ready for bed but had some things to write.
I got to play tennis tonight on my ATA team. It was super windy but I can't complain...I got to play. I also got to win. It was doubles and I played with a woman I have only played with a few times before but we did well. The world and all its troubles seems to fade to black when you are on the court. I am sure this is the case when anyone is deep into their own personal hobby. I find this a wonderful, almost guilty, side effect of playing tennis. I mean who would have thought that you could kind of forget any and all agonizing issues that tug at your brain all day, when you just step onto the court? I didn't ever have this sensation before playing tennis and started tennis because Jace had golf and I had nothing. Well, those of you that know me, know I didn't reeeaaaally have NOTHING, I am always doing something. I just mean now I fully understand the drive (no pun intended) that Jace has to get on the course and stay there as long as possible. Unfortunately, like any other "drug" it has to wear off and as soon as you hit that hot leather seat in your car, it all jumps back out you like it was spring loaded. That short "fix" that you get is so good though that it keeps you coming back for more. I wonder if this is how a drug addict or alcoholic feels about their "drug" of choice. It is just so wonderful to get on the court and know that it is just you that you must worry about. There is no kids, no phone, no bills, no laundry, husband, food to fix or diapers to change. Just you. The other side effect is that the more you are out there the better you get. When you aren't out there you are visualizing how much better you may be when you hit the ball or the wonderful feeling of pulling out a victory after a long battle. I just think there must be many of us that find solace in something so small, in the grand scheme of things. It is most likely the thing that drives many of us to do all the other, sometimes mundane things, knowing that we will eventually get out there again.
On another note, I must tell you something that we have all forgotten. It is the most WONDERFUL THING to turn 5. I know we are all much past that milestone and so we just can't get our heads wrapped around it. It has to be much like turning 18, or 21 or maybe 13. Jaxx is just here to remind us of this, as this has been his "mantra" for FIVE days now. I wonder how much longer he will actually remind us of this major revelation? Jace was with the kids in McDondalds when he was trying to get them their drinks. Jaxx quickly jumped in front of him to shove his cup under the dispenser as he yelled to the entire restaurant "I AM FIVE NOW!" Evidently, you are blessed with abilities you didn't have before 5. Must kind of be like being bestowed "super powers". Something in your mind tells you that you can do so much more now that you are five. He brushes his teeth better because he is five. He SLEEPS IN HIS OWN BED ALL NIGHT because he is five. He can run faster......because he is five. So, next time you see him ask him how great it feels to be five. It may remind you of other things that brought you joy in your childhood too.
Ciao!
Cortney K.

No comments: